Additional information on the planned activity in construction of Power Units 3 and 4 of Khmelnytska NPP
The necessity of works for the planned construction of Khmelnytska NPP power units 3 and 4 is stipulated by the following legislative documents of Ukraine, Resolutions and Orders of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine:
- "Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the Period until 2030" approved by order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 1071 of 24.07.2013;
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine "On Priority Measures for Construction of Power Units 3 and 4 of Khmelnytska NPP" № 118 of 18.02.2009;
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine "On Approval of the Feasibility Study of Construction of Khmelnytska NPP Power Units 3 and 4" №498-r of 04.07.2012.
Due to a precluded possibility to supply the reactor facility equipment manufactured in the Russian Federation and in order to ensure construction completion of Khmelnytska NPP power units 3 and 4, a necessity to replace the equipment supplier has arisen.
In the current situation, an option of construction completion with VVER-1000 RF of an alternative manufacture was considered, which could ensure Khmelnytska NPP units 3 and 4 construction completion in short terms and with minimized costs.
A European supplier has been considered as an alternative supplier of reactor technologies and VVER equipment. At the same time, the project would envisage additional measures for safety upgrade as compared to the operating Ukrainian NPPs:
- Use additional systems of containment integrity assurance (regulated filtered discharge system, hydrogen recombiners);
- Improve the electric part by means of reliability upgrade;
- Use modern monitoring and control systems of power units;
- Implement measures envisaged by the Complex Program of safety level upgrade for the operating nuclear power units and by stress-tests of the Ukrainian NPPs;
- Implement scientific and technical developments regarding a possibility to use the reactor vessel external cooling system.
In the process of Khmelnytska NPP unit 3 and 4 construction project implementation, one fulfils the following:
- Requirements of the current national regulatory documents for nuclear, radiation and environmental safety;
- Requirements of IAEA Safety Standards;
- Implementation of a full set of measures for safety and reliability upgrade in accordance with the effective programs of SE NNEGC "Energoatom" and the Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry of Ukraine;
- Implementation of measures on the stress-test results taking into account the experience in elaboration of these measures at the operating NPPs and additional measures for external reactor vessel cooling;
- High level of involvement of Ukrainian equipment and services manufacturers;
- Designing the power units by Ukrainian design organizations;
- The use of the existing engineering structures of main facilities considering the measures, which are determined based on results of the conducted inspection and evaluation of their technical condition.
The use of a European supplier’s reactor facility does not change the conclusions and performances given in the Feasibility Study in terms of:
- Necessity to increase the capacity of KhNPP, which is confirmed by the Energy Strategy of Ukraine for the period until 2030 and the current state of the Ukrainian energy industry;
- Safety performances of the power units;
- Technical performances of the power units;
- Extent of environmental impact;
- Economic efficiency of KhNPP extension with power units 3 and 4.
The information is published by SE NNEGC "Energoatom" for further implementation of the policy of transparency and decision openness in the sphere of the nuclear energy utilisation, wider assurance of participation of citizens and their associations in the formation of this policy and discussion of the issues related to the safety upgrade of the operating nuclear power units.
SE NNEGC "Energoatom" plans to continue the full coverage of the process and results of the activity in construction of Khmelnytska NPP power units 3 and 4.